The attached PDF file is a copy of the school’s Handbook for 2018/19
Download: Creative Dalkeith Learner Evaluation
How Good is Dalkeith High School?
In November 2017 we welcomed senior officers from Midlothian Council into Dalkeith High School to help us to answer the above question as part of a school review.
Our practice was evaluated using the ‘quality indicators’ set out in the document ‘How Good is Our School’ produced by Education Scotland. We were delighted that the good practice that exists across the school was recognised in the report.
The following quality indicators were given evaluative ‘gradings’:
|Quality Indicator (QI)||
|QI 2.3 Learning, teaching and assessment||Good|
|QI 3.1 Ensuring wellbeing, equality and inclusion||Good|
|QI 3.2 Raising attainment and achievement||Good|
The following quality indicators are not given gradings but are commented upon:
|Quality Indicator (QI)||Evaluation|
|QI 2.2 Curriculum pathways||Strong|
|QI 2.7 Partnerships with parents/carers/others||Strong|
The report from the review team highlighted many key strengths and successes including:
- Positive relationships evident across the school
- Good use of praise to encourage pupils in their learning
- Feedback used well to help pupils with next steps in learning
- All of our pupils are able to be included in learning, despite some having barriers to learning
- Many opportunities for young people to be included in wider achievement activities
- Attainment is good and getting even better
- Pupils from any background can do well at Dalkeith High School
- Very clear curriculum pathways that pupils can progress through
- Senior Phase curriculum meets the needs of all our learners
- Many vocational (work related) courses as well as more traditional courses
- Supportive Parent Council and PTA and good communication with parents/carers
- Good partnership working to help us deliver the best learning experiences
A few areas for further development were also identified during the visit and will be incorporated in our Improvement Plan as we move forward towards the new session.
We are delighted with the report as it recognises the commendable practice within the school that brings benefits for all of our young people. Thank you for all that you do to support the school.
Dalkeith High School: Determined Happy Successful
Click on the link: https://www.facebook.com/DalkeithHighSchoolParentCouncilandPTA/
Dalkeith High School is made up of four Houses: Buccleuch, Dalhousie, Lothian and Melville.
Each House has a House Head (Depute Head Teacher) and a Pupil Support Leader.
The table below provides details of the appropriate members of staff for each House.
Click image to enlarge
0131 654 4701
Following an extensive period of consultation with pupils, staff and parents/carers, we have agreed our vision statement which will guide us as we move forward with further improvements to our school.
Dalkeith High School: Enabling all young people to succeed in an inclusive, respectful and stimulating environment