This webpage was designed to support you in navigating through the key resources on the Scottish National Careers Website – My World of Work (MyWoW).
Career Services in the school
Throughout your time at school, you will have to make some big decisions about your future. Deciding your future can be a startling experience. Therefore, it is crucial that you access as much help and support as possible to ensure that the decision you make is well informed.
In years gone by, it would have been a much more straightforward decision, however, in the digital world that we now live in, the careers that you may end up following may not yet exist. In fact, most of the job vacancies that exist today did not exist 5 years ago. It is, therefore, important to make sure that you access every possible source of support available to help you decide which path is right for you.
My World of Work is Scotland’s career information and advice website. It’s brought to you by Skills Development Scotland (SDS) – Scotland’s national skills agency.
Skills Development Scotland Careers Advisers are available in school to support the pupils in developing their Career Management Skills. The service is delivered through one-to-one appointments and group coaching during PSE classes. During the Career Guidance sessions, pupils develop self-awareness and understanding of their strengths, explore their options and recognise the networks of support available. The pupils are also introduced to SDS digital services including My World of Work to encourage independent working. Careers Advisers and SDS Work Coaches continue to support pupils when they leave school until they attain work, training or learning opportunities they enjoy.
Throughout your time at school, you will have to make some big decisions about your future. I, Barbara Moir, am your Careers Adviser in Dalkeith High School. I work in close partnership with Principal Teachers of Guidance and the School Leadership Team in accordance with the Career Education Standard 3-18, providing Career Information, Advice and Guidance service listed below.
- S1-S4: Group work to develop Career Management Skills
- S3: 1-1 Option Choices Guidance interview
- Senior phase pupils: 1-1 Coaching sessions and Drop-ins to continue the development of Career Management Skills to prepare them for Education, Apprenticeships or Training.
- Post School: Careers Advisers and Work Coach Services to get into work, training, or further education.
- Careers Advisers available for pre-booked appointments or drop-ins at Parents’ Events from S1-S6
- My World of Work online career information and resources. Get the most from your My World of Work account with our new profile feature, designed to personalise your experience.
- Teachers Resources for Teachers and Youth Workers on My World of Work
- Parents & Carers Resources on MyWoW
- My World of Work Ambassadors
Contacting Barbara Moir:
My usual days in School are Monday to Thursday where I can be found in the School Library.
I can be contacted by email at Barbara.email@example.com or by phoning me on 07887 831027. If I am not in school, please call 0131 663 7287 and one of my colleagues can help you.
Join my Careers Blog by clicking on the link below and entering code c5q3osx
Pupils should contact their Pupil Support Leader in the first instance.
- Find out what do Careers Advisers do?
- Find out all about… YOU! – Animal Me helps you learn about your personality.
- Start planning your career path with About Me.
- Introducing you to Career Management Skills
- Find out what your strengths are. The strengths tool will help you discover the courses and jobs that suit you.
- A guide to each of the strengths from the quiz, and the strengths families using the “Strengths dictionary”
- Subject Choices The big five
- Introduction to My World of Work (MyWoW).
- Learn about knowing yourself.
- Using Skills Explorer on MyWoW
- Career Management Skills
- Option Choices tools
- Where could your subject choices take you?
- Future Me Subject Choices magazine
- What is it about Foundation Apprenticeships?
- Learn much more about Career Management Skills
- Building your confidence.
- Foundation Apprenticeships Unlock your potential
- Do you know that there is no wrong path?
- Can Creativity Skills get you a job?
- Role Models and Mentoring for females
- Learn more about Modern Apprenticeship
S5, S6, and School Leavers
- It is time be serious about Choosing your path
- Learn about Mindsets.
- What is Labour Market Information… and why do I need to know
- Learning about Employment and Labour Market
- Think about Scotland 2035 vision – A Human Future.
- What are Meta Skills and their relevance to the human future
- Masterclass – Meta skills with Skills Development Scotland
- What do you know about Graduate Apprenticeships and the Different types of apprenticeships
- Next steps – Grab that opportunity
- Next Steps – Resilience
- East and Midlothian vacancies – where you can find information on full and part-time jobs as well as training and apprenticeship schemes.
- Other job vacancies and training opportunities for school leavers are advertised on The Edinburgh Guarantee and Apprenticeships.Scot
Parents and Carers
- Talking to your child about their future career
- My World of Work for parents and carers
- Careers Information, Advice and Guidance service in Scotland
- Supporting your Child through the options process.
- Career Ready: Preparing Young People for the World of Work.
- A Child or Young Person with Additional Support Need
- University is an option for everyone
- Webinars for Parents and Carers
- All about skills
- Applications and Interviews
- Jobs of the Future Animation
- Learn more about the Jobs of the Future
- Encouraging girls into Digital Technology
- Scotland’s adults in the world of work
- Types of Learning
- Coaching and Mentoring
- College and University
- Events and Fairs
- Gap Years
- Learning on the Job
- Online Learning
- Work Experience
- Learning with the Big Plus
Getting a Job
- Job Vacancies and Apprenticeships
- Job Categories
- CVs and Applications
- Cover Letters
- Starting a new job
My World of Work
- Edinburgh College
- Borders College
- Scottish Rural University College
- Newbattle Abbey College
- Jobs for School Leavers
- Mid and East Lothian jobs
- My Job Scotland
- University College Admission Services
- Students Awards Agency Scotland
- Not Going to Uni
- Skills Development Scotland
- Developing Youth Workforce (DYW)
- DYW for Edinburgh, Mid and East Lothian
- Promoting Access to Higher Education (LEAPS)