The attached PDF file is a copy of the school’s Handbook for 2017/18
Download: DHS HANDBOOK 2017-18
Download: Creative Dalkeith Learner Evaluation
View slideshow here: GREASE
Margot Russell, Deputy Provost and local Labour councillor, came into school today to meet the winning group from Creative Dalkeith and discuss their vision for the regeneration of Jarnac Court. Margot was overwhelmed by the level of creativity shown by the pupils and provided some insight into the history of Jarnac Court. Margot is hopeful that this idea can be taken forward and will be taken into consideration by the planners when they start to make progress with the development. Margot is excited to see the 3D renders that the pupils created at D2 Architects office last week.
Parental Survey Results: How Good is our School Parental Survey
How Good is Dalkeith High School?
As part of the ongoing self-evaluation of our practice, we recently welcomed senior officers from Midlothian Council into Dalkeith High School to help us to answer the above question.
All schools should evaluate their practice against the Quality Indicators set out in the document ‘How Good is Our School’ produced by Education Scotland.
The report from the team highlighted many key strengths and successes including:
- Clear evidence of strong and effective leadership
- Strong commitment of school staff to continued improvement
- A very positive ethos reflected in excellent relationships between staff and young people
- Staff know the young people well and understand nature of the community context they are working in
- Effective support given to young people by staff to produce positive outcomes
- Excellent tracking, monitoring and reporting systems that allow parents/carers to support young people in their learning
- A focus on the recognition and rewarding of positive achievement
- A wide range of curriculum options that allow all young people to achieve their full potential
A few areas for further development were also identified during the visit and will be incorporated in our Improvement Plan as we move forward towards the new session.
- Further improve pace and challenge in the Broad General Education (BGE)
- Differentiation of learning to meet the needs of all learners should become consistent across the school
- A more consistent use of group work and active learning to ensure that all learners are engaging with the learning
Quality Indicator 1.3 Leadership of Change
Evaluated as being very good
Quality Indicator 2.3 Learning, teaching and assessment
Evaluated as being good with many aspects of very good practice
We are delighted with the report as it recognises the commendable practice within the school that brings benefits for all of our young people. Thank you for all that you do to support the school.
Dalkeith High School: Determined Happy Successful
Take a look at the useful information and links on our Careers Page here
Students from across Scotland take part in the Your Scottish Parliament event at the Scottish Parliament. The event aims to help the students understand the parliament and how it works, increasing their engagement with the parliament in the future.
Photographs from the event can be viewed here
Advertiser story can be viewed here